Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dusting off the cobwebs...

It's been a really long time since I touched this blog.  Like many people, we're treating the new year as a way to make some changes in our lives - hopefully healthy changes!

The other night, we watched "Forks over Knives" based on several recommendations received from friends.  I have to admit, I snoozed off and on during the entire documentary, but when I woke up the next morning, Chris was all fired up about our diet and the changes he feels we need to make based on the movie.  My milk-drinking, burger-loving, let's-put-some-cheese-on-top-of-that husband was suggesting we go Vegan RIGHT NOW!  I had to 'Whoa Nelly!' him a bit, and we've compromised to take some steps toward breaking our 'addiction' to especially dairy and meat.  I've been especially proud of how well Max has jumped on board, trying new foods and being excited about being a healthier family.

Last night, we had our first "Meatless Monday" dinner ... Tortellini Soup from Annie's Eats.  It was well received and I just reheated a bowl for lunch today!  I think next time we'll add some beans to pack in some protein, but it was a delicious and quick soup.

We'll see how this goes...I'm cautiously optimistic and excited about the changes ahead of us...we do have a freezer full of meat and poultry that I don't want to just toss.  I'm excited about exploring some vegetarian cookbooks, and thanks to Pinterest, I have lots of recipes pinned already! 

I've got lots of questions - Soy or Almond milk? What about cheese, butter and yogurt?  Do we try some of those 'fake-meat' alternatives or just say no to sausage/bacon/hotdogs in general?  My head is just spinning...I wonder if there's a class I can take?  Anyone have any recommendations?









2 comments:

Leslie said...

Good for you guys!!! I can't wait to hear how your journey goes and that is great that Chris is wanting to make changes :)

Oh the almond and soy Milk debate. Both are very nutritious and offer great vitamin benefits. Some get worried about soy milk because soy can disrupt hormone balance (do you eat lots of soy though..if not, then I would say fine with soy).Soy milk tends to have more protein but a few more calories. I am a strong advocate for protein though so with that thinking, soy would win.

But alas, I prefer the taste of almond milk better. I look forward to what your family prefers. We don't drink a lot anyways since we don't really eat cereal so I am def not a taste expert...lol

Congrats on the family's healthy changes, and I look forward to reading this blog! Good for you!

Erika said...

I just KNEW you would love that movie!!! So now for my recs, you must read The China Study (I got Kindle on my phone and downloaded the book to my phone- which makes it really easy to skip around and read parts here and there when I have a second at the park, etc.) - and also read Marilu Henner's book "Total Health Makeover" - that book is good, too. I also want to read The Omnivore's Dilema. I try to stay away from soy b/c of the high estrogen content. Cheese, butter, and yogurt are no-nos. I don't eat much fake meat - I just don't like it at all, although veggie burgers are good. I just joined Spork online and am taking cooking classes through them (they're basically just cooking videos you can watch). Definitely watch Forks over Knives a few times. It is GREAT. I also read a bunch of blogs for inspiration (like Alicia Silverstone's kind life blog, for example). So excited for you!